[mythtv-users] Matrox Millennium G400 MAX

aaron memoryguy at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 17:15:13 UTC 2010

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 13:01, mike at grounded.net <mike at grounded.net> wrote:

> > appears to not work on a 2.6.35 kernel and Xorg 7.3.  You said this
> > exact mailing list suggested that card? How old was the thread in which
> > you found that information?
>
> Like a couple of weeks ago maybe. But what you said makes sense. Maybe the person meant that it WAS very well supported and at this point simply isn't. That I can understand :).

Even when my G450 card was new (back in 2001) I was never able to get
anything useful out of the TV-out under Linux. The best I managed was
a fuzzy black-and-white picture (something akin to PAL-output on an
NTSC TV), which I gather was a common end result.

On the other hand, using the VGA connectors I was able to output with
Xv at 1600x1200, which I could not do with the Windows drivers.

I ran Myth from 2002 through 2004 using the G450, but *always*
connected via VGA to my 19" CRT monitor. After 2004 I built a
dedicated box (using a GeForce4 440MX) and connected to my TV via
SVideo -> Composite converter. I still occasionally try booting that
system up and running Myth on it, but it's getting really long in the
tooth and the CPU fan is dying. Again.

I really liked my G450, but for TV-out under Linux it was always a no-go for me.

Yes, it's the 450 rather than the 400, but I always understood the 450
and 400 to be very similar.

If you can connect yours via VGA to a monitor I should think you
should get something working. I don't think I needed to hack around
too much when I last tried setting it up... I think that was on
Slackware 12 or 12.1, probably year or two ago. It has been a while...
:)

aaron