[mythtv-users] vga to ntsc

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Mon Oct 4 14:51:57 UTC 2010

On 10/4/2010 9:38 AM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 10/4/2010 10:14, kqt4at5v at comcast.net wrote:
>> Can y'all recommend a reasonably priced vga to ntsc adapter
>> All I want is to be able to connect the vga port on my laptop to my old ntsc tv to watch movies
>> All adapters I have seen say they require windows
>
> Such an adapter is called a 'scan converter'. It reads in the video signal, and reprocesses in real time to composite or Svideo. As it never touches your system, it cannot possibly require Windows. These devices are all complex, expensive, and result in poor quality video. You actually don't have a video output on your laptop?

Define "poor" -- I think NTSC has "poor" quality written into the original specification.

I've seen some that do a pretty good job of converting VGA to good NTSC (all things considered).

I think he's mostly just trying to get to use his TV.

@tqt54: When talking NTSC, there's: Composite, Chroma/Luma (S-Video) both of which can be re-modulated onto RF
for CH:3|4. Which do you need?

You can look at item N82E16817707113 on newegg as it seems to be "reasonably" priced and gives a multiple of outputs.

However, I don't know what the output quality is. The last scan converter I used was over 10yrs ago and was about $300 and actually looked really darn good considering the output was NTSC.

  -Ben

--
Ben Kamen - O.D.T., S.P.