[mythtv-users] slightly OT: cable/dish vs ota question

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Oct 4 13:41:06 UTC 2010

On Sunday, October 03, 2010 11:02:35 pm Evuraan wrote:
> i recently ditched my cable provider and switched to OTA using a
> hdhomerun (us).
>
> i like the OTA lineup and functionality mythtv extracts out of it -
> which makes me want to ask this question:
>
> how do big TV networks "treat" OTA transmission? I understand
> subscription based channels sticking to cable/dish tv distribution
> with their encrypted stuff and all - but why aren't others switching
> to (or atleast, adding) ota transmission which will enable them reach
> more regular viewers. Or are a few of big TV networks contemplating
> this now that the DTV switch is complete in US? aren't they loosing ad
> revenue by staying just on cable/dish networks and by failing to reach
> ota viewers?
>
> any helpful pointers will be much appreciated.

Sounds like you are talking about the non-pay cable networks. The broadcasters won't carry them because they charge on a
per-subscriber basis (IOW a cable company must pay to carry CNN, TBS or TVLand, on a per-subscriber basis).

Broadcasters generally do not want to pay out money, especially in a large market like NYC, the programmers would probably
want to be paid for all 20-million plus people in the TV market. Not likely to happen. The cable companies in the area
would also complain, they feel they have an exclusive right to carry in a given market (and they may, depending on the
contract). I know the cable companies are competing with satellite, but they like to pretend they are still back in the
70s or 80s.

With the advent of ATSC the broadcasters have the ability to carry more than a single channel, many just use that to carry
an SD version of their regular HD channel, though a few are starting to add other stuff, that's generally worthless.

OTA viewers have the ability to get satellite service, but somebody has to pay for it, and if given a choice between the
TV stations paying and the consumer footing the bill, you know what will happen.

You will never see the "basic" cable networks available for free, and I doubt you will see any TV stations paying for it.