[mythtv-users] Best way to migrate from one server to another.

Robert Johnston anaerin at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 04:55:33 UTC 2010

On 03/10/2010 4:40 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 10/3/2010 18:32, Robert Johnston wrote:
>> copying the DB over the top
>
> Never directly copy a database. You want to export to text, and then
> import back in to the new database server. There are binary
> incompatibilities between database versions, and even different builds.
> This extra step just ensures there will be no problems.

Good idea. I'd need to change the hostname too, so this is probably the
best way to go about it.

>> setting up the HDDs on the new box at the same mount point as they
>> were at
>
> MythTV always records to the root of the storage group, and it will be
> able to find a recording anywhere, so long as that directory is listed
> as a storage group directory. There is no need to mount the disks at the
> same point.

Given that this system has been upgraded and promoted from 0.18 to the
current (0.24-pre) state it's in, I'm not sure what storage group it has
everything in. As I'm also mounting the myth folder for SMB access to
videos, it'll be staying pretty much as-is.

So, beyond doing a DB backup and restore (Having changed hostnames on
the backup), and mounting the recordings in the storage group, any other
gotchas?