[mythtv-users] Power Line Network Connections and Myth ?

Bill Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Mon Oct 4 00:58:22 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-10-03 at 20:41 -0400, sean darcy wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 4:14 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I'm planning on setting up an FE in a cabin about 150 yards from the
> >> house. I could run CAT 5E, but it's a long way, and the cable would be
> >> exposed to rain, snow, etc. Instead I'm thinking of Powerline over a
> >> dedicated electric cable. I run outdoor rated electric cable with an
> >> outlet at each end. No connection to the electric system at either
> >> end. Then use 2 Powerline adapters.
> >>
> >> Would this work? Is it a good idea?
> >
> > I assume the cabin has power, otherwise you couldn't plug the TV and
> > frontend in? (OK I know therwe are alternatives, like
> > batteries/solar), but depending on how the wiring is done, could you
> > possibly run powerline on the exiting wiring. EG if the cabin is fed
> > it's power from a sub-feed from the house?
> >

> No. The power is from a separate meter. I'm now leaning to CAT5E
> through links of pvc pipe. Not pretty, but cheap. Also considering
> coax. Wouldn't that be better both for distance and protection from
> rain/snow,etc? Just lay it on the ground.
>
> sean

Before you go too far, cat 5e and cat 6 are quoted as having a maximum
distance of 90meters, which puts your 150yds just outside.  And thats if
your (cheap?) network card can drive it hard enough without errors.  You
are likely to need at least one powered (POE?) store and forward
repeater node (i.e., switch) in between. Its not just attenuation, but
timings of the ethernet signal as well.

Would a directional antenna on the wifi link be a better proposition? -
perhaps if you can borrow/make one dish/yagi or the like and test to see
if the gain helps before buying 2 quality ones.

BillK