[mythtv-users] Merging two master backends

Tapani Tarvainen mythtv at tapanitarvainen.fi
Sat Oct 2 17:55:33 UTC 2010

On Sat, Oct 02, 2010 at 12:50:45PM -0400, Michael T. Dean (mtdean at thirdcontact.c

> >Recovering recordings is not a simple process, and there is a lot
> >of data you need to produce to do it properly.
>
> Therefore, the proper approach is to stick the recordings from the
> "other" backend into MythVideo.

Wouldn't that lead to loss of all of their metadata?

> In the future, we'll have MythTV automatically import orphaned
> recording files.  Unfortunately, it's not a simple process, so it's
> not coded, yet.  This complexity is also why we don't recommend
> direct DB editing to add recordings (and why we've deprecated the
> scripts that attempt to add recordings)--because you're likely to
> put corrupt data into your backend, which could cause problems when
> you add it or months/years later.

After spending some time looking at the database I must confess
an itch to redo it completely with postgresql and all possible
consistency-enforcing foreign keys and constraints...

But, thank you for the warning. I appreciate the complexity,
and will consider alternative approaches before taking the plunge.

--
Tapani Tarvainen