[mythtv-users] OT: Is there a way to outsource system admin tasks remotely?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Oct 1 23:56:48 UTC 2010

On Friday, October 01, 2010 05:46:18 pm Damian wrote:
>   Hello all,
>
> I find I have less and less time for tweaking all of the things I'd like
> to tweak on my home computer systems. Getting my remote control handset
> working just the way that I want it, setting up this, fiddling with
> that, just never gets to the top of a long list of things that need
> doing. I'm finally at the point where I'd rather just pay someone a few
> $ to do a few of these things for me than them never get done.
>
> Do any of you know of any online services where you can get someone to
> log in to set up X and tweak Y and X?
>
> Do any of you fancy doing this yourselves?
>
> If I go down this route, how should I make sure the service is safe
> security wise? I was thinking of using something like TeamViewer unless
> there's a good reason not to.
>
> Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

There are many consulting outfits and individuals who do this sort of thing, but be prepared to pay.

If you have a local LUG, one of its members might be willing to help, probably for less money than a commercial consulting
company.

Or you might try to find a bright 14-year-old locally. If your local High School has any computer classes the instructor
might be able to suggest someone. Likewise local Community Colleges.

I'd just give them SSH access to whatever machine you need them to administer, using keys and not passwords. Anyone who
needs a GUI to administer a machine is not worth contracting with. If they need a GUI, say for Myth's setup, they should
know how to set that up using X forwarding with SSH.