[mythtv-users] Rip DVDs that are already on disk

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Fri Oct 1 19:56:31 UTC 2010

On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 3:25 PM, Purple Streak
<mrpurplestreak at googlemail.com> wrote:
> but this was asked subtly differently ;)   I actually prefer mail
> lists and had found the forums first.  I've managed to get the vob
> files appear after a fashion in mythtv - but it will just play the
> vobs and I thought it would start with the menus.

If you rip to iso format, then place the iso in the mythvideo
directory, you'll get the menus.  You don't need to do this from
within the frontend.

> Also I'd really rather transcode them to the smaller format the docs
> suggest you can do, but that involves having Myth rip the DVD (which I
> can't do here)

I'm not aware of any easy way to transcode a DVD in such a way that
preserves menus and other DVD navigation stuff like that.  However, if
you don't care about that, you can transcode using any tool you like
and just place the resulting file in your mythvideo directory and
rescan to pick it up.

Eric