[mythtv-users] kernel upgrades (Was: (no subject))

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Oct 1 13:24:39 UTC 2010

On Friday, October 01, 2010 07:01:36 am Simon Hobson wrote:
> Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> >  > > My kernel version is 2.6.32. Should I upgrade to 2.6.35.7 that I
> >  > > found
> >>  >
> >>  > as the latest stable Kernel? And how is possible to upgrade, I can
> >>  > not make internet connections either. Thanks.
> >>
> >>  I would.
> >>
> >>  Please...use a proper subject when posting to the list.
> >
> >And post to a list where your question is relevant.  This is not a
> >general-linux-help list.  There ass-barn-loads of lists for that so no
> >need to overload this list with such general help questions.
>
> Sorry but I have to say this, that attitude is one of the reasons
> many people won't try/don't stick with Linux. It's entirely negative
> and does nothing other than tell someone that in your opinion they
> aren't worthy of being allowed into the group.
>
> I took the question as related to his earlier one regarding drivers
> for his capture card/device - as in "should I upgrade my kernel to
> support it ?". As such it's not totally irrelevant here (though a
> Video 4 Linux list/forum would be more appropriate).
>
> This guy is clearly new around these parts and lost. A helpful
> response would be to point him in the right direction, not wave a
> shotgun and shout "get orrf me land" !

I agree, the OP us clearly a "MythTV User", and has a question about how to use MythTV, so he rightly belongs here.

Just knowing that the capture card requires a device driver of some sort puts the fellow head and shoulders above most
people. If we can't help a user with Windows experience and at least "some" Linux experience, we should just close up shop
and go home.

Myth is a difficult first Linux project, as I have said, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be able to get a new user up and
running. Pointing out some specific other sites may be a part of this process, but it's not the solution by itself.
Mentioning that there are many Linux sites out there helps nobody at this point, at the very least such a statement should
point to specific sites and/or forums.

For a start, the OP should consider one of the "all-in-one" Linux/Myth distributions, such as Mythdora or Mythbuntu, which
are likely to have any required drivers included, and concentrate on how to configure Myth, which can be daunting even for
experienced users.