[mythtv-users] Transcoding SD MPEG2 to H.264---recommendations?

D. R. Newman d.r.newman at e-consultation.org
Tue Nov 30 00:37:33 UTC 2010

On 29/11/10 18:54, f-myth-users at media.mit.edu wrote:
> I considered that, but c'mon.  It was just a normal PVR-250 recording
> from an STB.  It plays just fine.  It seems unlikely that every other
> frame (on average) has an error in it.

It is unlikely to get that many errors. In my experience, ProjectX
normally picks up half a dozen errors in a 30-min DTV programme recorded
from a digital terrestrial (Freeview). Some of those errors were in the
transmitted programme, some come from the reception.

Most digital video players are written to tolerate lots of errors, but
still keep on playing. Encoders are not. Indeed, I started passing
everything through ProjectX when a particular version of Avidemux
stopped on the first error it found.

Dave Newman