[mythtv-users] From 0.22 to 0.24 via JYA's repos

Christopher Kerr mythtv at theseekerr.com
Mon Nov 29 22:19:39 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 11:46 PM, Alan Ferrero <alanf at tin.it> wrote:
> Hi all! :)
>
> Since I'm still running Mythbuntu 9.10 (64 bit) and don't wish to upgrade to
> 10.04/10.10, I added (as suggested by the List) the JYA's repos to my system
> in order to upgrade MythTV (version 0.22) to the new 0.24 (because, as you
> know, the official auto-builds service doesn't provide it for 9.10).
>
> However, when I launch Update Manager, a message pops up telling me that
> only a "partial upgrade" can be performed (i.e. some MythTV packages are
> checked, while the others aren't).
>
> What does it mean and what can I do?
>
> Also, as far as I have learnt, the correct procedure to upgrade MythTV is
> the following:
>
> 1) exit the front-end
> 2) back-up the database
> 3) stop the back-end
> 4) upgrade MythTV
> 5) run the MythTV setup (and check everything is OK :))
> 6) start the back-end and front-end
>
> Is that all, or there's something else you suggest/recommend?
>
> Thanks a lot for the help! :)

You will need to uninstall libmyth-0.22, which will, in turn, require
removal of pretty much everything mythtv related.

So it's really more like:

1) Exit the frontend
2) Backup the database
3) sudo apt-get remove mythtv* libmyth*
4) Install new version of mythtv
5) Run mythtv-setup
6) Start the backend
7) Start the frontend and reconfigure audio as per the release notes
for 0.24 ;o)

It always surprises me that the above song and dance is necessary....I
even found it necessary on Trunk when the library version was bumped
from 0.23 to 0.24 in preperation for release.

- Chris