[mythtv-users] MythTV with Vintage Gear

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Nov 29 21:16:03 UTC 2010

On 11/29/2010 03:17 PM, Brian Wood wrote:
> On Monday, November 29, 2010 12:55:42 pm R. G. Newbury wrote:
>  A recording of E. Power Biggs at
>> the Fillmore can bring down dust from the ceiling tiles!
>
> Ah, E. Power Biggs. I have several recordings he made on the Flentrop at
> Harvard. Probably the greatest organist who ever lived.

Hmm, just looked in the back of the closet, and retrieved a couple more
albums of Biggs, playing Mozart on the 'Mozart' Organ at Flentrop. And a
whack of other albums which I will now have to record digitally.

Luckily, most of my albums have only been played a couple of times: most
were immediately recorded onto reel-to-reel and never played again. And
then I recorded some of the tapes to CD's about 10 years ago when I sold
the Revox. Time to revisit.

Damn a lot of the albums are OLD!

> I hope they were DC-300As, the 300s had a nasty tendency to put DC onto
> the voice coils and burn them up, the "A" models used two DC blocking
> capacitors in series, both of them had to short before your speakers
> started smoking.

Yes, actually both of the boat-anchors I owned at one time were
DC300*A*'s. Great gear. I should not have sold the last one.

But I sold both DC300A's for more than I paid for them. Same for the
Revox B77-II too. Of course, it is easy to do that if you keep the thing
for a couple of decades and it is built to continue to work perfectly
throughout that span.

              R. Geoffrey Newbury
            Barrister and Solicitor
       Suite 106, 150 Lakeshore Road West