[mythtv-users] DirecTV HTTP Server

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 18:14:16 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 8:51 AM, Greg Oliver <oliver.greg at gmail.com> wrote:
<SNIP>

>> I'm still not exactly clear what's going on here. You are tuning the
>> D-TV H21/H23 over Ethernet. How are you watching and how are you
>> recording? If someone has HDMI hooked to their flat screen but at the
>> same time is using component video to some external device like a PVR
>> for recording then do we know that the signal quality is identical
>> between those two interfaces? (1080p only over HDMI I think?)
>
> Cannot use hdmi and component at the same time - HDMI always wins and
> component outputs nothing.

Makes sense

> You have to use receiver -> component ->
> hdpvr -> component -> tv to be able to watch and record.  Yes, the on
> demand content that is 1080p will play at 1080i..

1080i over component, 1080p over HDMI, correct?

>> I don't have an HDMI set so I cannot look at anything. (short of
>> hooking it to a computer monitor or something...) My big screen is
>> quite old so it only does 480p/960i so even there it's not much of a
>> monitor and I might not expect anything to look much different based
>> on HD vs SD. (Sad face) :-((
>
> How exactly are you setting the receiver to HD out if you do not have
> a set to do it?  AFAIK, you have to test the resolutions from the
> receiver before it will output it.  I know the H32 will not set itself
> to 1080 if the TV will not support it.  That may be why you are only
> getting SD.

I'm hooked to component. I tune the HD channel (or more accurately
hide the SD channel so I _think_ I tune the HD channel) and then use
the TV Format button to choose 480p. It ain't what you call 'HD' but
it's what my old 480p/960i set says is HD.

At this point I'm no longer using Myth. I'm just subscribed to the
list after a few years of using it. When Comcast messed with
encryption and bricked my HDHR I went to D-TV and just use their DVR.
It's no where near as nice as Myth in terms of scheduling, but I can
watch anywhere in the house and there's very little cost. The cost of
two HDPVR's, a Myth server burning electricity all the time, not to
mention my time keeping it running, just ended up being too high. I'd
rather spend the money on some good wine, get plastered and not be
sure what the resolution is I'm watching. ;-) ;-)

If anyone wants to buy an HDHR by the way... :-)

The reason I'm interested in this thread (first post I've made here in
a few months) was that I posted the idea of using Myth as ONLY a
controller with the D-TV PVR some time ago. If Myth could start and
stop the PVR, change channels, etc, but allow the recordings to stay
on the PVR, then I thought that might be a cool solution for me.
That's not what you guys are currently up to but it's why I responded
initially.

Cheers,
Mark

Cheers,