[mythtv-users] Upgrade to mythtv 0.23.1-0.0lenny2 causes me to loose audio

Tom Epperly tepperly at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 17:06:20 UTC 2010

On 11/28/2010 10:23 PM, Ariel wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Nov 2010, Tom Epperly wrote:
>
>> I don't often "apt-get upgrade" or "apt-get dist-upgrade" my MythTV
>> box, but I did today. I upgraded from mythtv-backed
>> 0.22+fixes20100218-0.0lenny1 to 0.23.1-0.0lenny2. The video playback
>> looks fine, but there is no audio.
>
> Is there any output from the console?
>
> Also, you upgraded just the backend? Or also the frontend?
I upgraded everything:

root at mythtv:~# dpkg --list 'myth*'
| Status=Not/Inst/Cfg-files/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
ii  mytharchive    0.23.1-0.0lenn Create and burn DVD's from MythTV - binary f
ii  mytharchive-da 0.23.1-0.0lenn Create and burn DVD's from MythTV - data fil
un  mythcontrols<none>          (no description available)
pn  mythdvd<none>          (no description available)
un  mythflix<none>          (no description available)
ii  mythgallery    0.23.1-0.0lenn Image gallery/slideshow add-on module for My
ii  mythgame       0.23.1-0.0lenn Emulator&  PC Game frontend module for MythT
ii  mythmusic      0.23.1-0.0lenn Music add-on module for MythTV
pn  mythstream<none>          (no description available)
ii  mythstreamtv   1.10-1         Stream MPEG-2 encoded videos via HTTP.
ii  mythtv         0.23.1-0.0lenn A personal video recorder application (clien
ii  mythtv-backend 0.23.1-0.0lenn A personal video recorder application (serve
ii  mythtv-common  0.23.1-0.0lenn A personal video recorder application (commo
ii  mythtv-databas 0.23.1-0.0lenn A personal video recorder application (datab
ii  mythtv-doc     0.23.1-0.0lenn A personal video recorder application (docum
ii  mythtv-fronten 0.23.1-0.0lenn A personal video recorder application (clien
ii  mythtv-themes  0.23.1-0.0     Additional themes for MythTV
ii  mythvideo      0.23.1-0.0lenn A generic video player frontend module for M
ii  mythweather    0.23.1-0.0lenn Weather add-on module for MythTV
ii  mythweb        0.23.1-0.0lenn An integrated web browser plugin for your My

> Also, try re-checking the configuration (in both mythtv-setup and in
> the setup menu item in the frontend), perhaps your audio configuration
> settings were lost during the database upgrade.
I checked the mythtv-setup, and I didn't really see anything related to
audio output. The frontend setup menus include:
Audio output device: /dev/dsp
Speakers configuration: Stereo
Advanced Audio Configuration: unclicked
Use internal volume controls: checked
Mixer Device: /dev/mixer
Mixer Controls: PCM
There doesn't seem to be an option related to the PVR-350's sound output.

This link, http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/hauppauge_PVR-350, says that with
MythTV 0.23, the PVR-350 mpeg2 decoder (playback) is no longer
supported. I think my system was setup to use the PVR-350's decoder
capabilities. Is this the likely source of the problem?

I tried plugging some speakers into the sound card jack, and sure enough
the sound is there. The connection to the TV is via RCA jacks. Is the
simplest solution to get a stereo 1/8" inch plug to RCA jacks adapter?

Tom