[mythtv-users] Not impressed with the iMON remote

Christian Szpilfogel chrisznews4 at rogers.com
Sun Nov 28 22:16:04 UTC 2010

On 28/11/2010 2:45 AM, dargllun wrote:
> Am 28.11.2010 05:26, schrieb Christian Szpilfogel:
>> On 27/11/2010 3:32 AM, dargllun wrote:
>>> Interesting. BTW, is there any difference in the various Harmony
>>> models wrt to protocol compatibility? I was thinking of purchasing a
>>> low-end product such as the Harmony 300; the whole thing is more a
>>> luxury than a necessity. So, will an iMON LCD work with a H-300 or
>>> H-300i?
>>>
>>  From my knowledge no. They pretty much do the same thing from an IR
>> perspective. The main differences have been UI, ergonomics, and
>> abilities such as RF bridging. From an IR perspective certain models
>> have had minor issues but the harmony support team have quickly helped
>> out those users.
>>
>> I have not tried the H-300/300i. But I would expect them to work fine.
>> Remember Harmony remotes are meant to work with just about everything
>> and the database does not restrict what protocols can be used on what
>> device.
>
> Well I just ordered a 300, for 19.90€ you can't really make a mistake
> here. There's some controversy going on as to whether it's better to
> have the Harmony emulate the iMON protocol or to switch the receiver
> to RC-6; but for both approaches power on should be working. AFAIU, In
> RC-6 mode, though, you mustn't cut power completely, because then the
> receiver falls back to iMON. Since I'm suspending only, there
> shouldn't be issues for me. We'll see.

I don't see any controversy as to which is better. I use both (two
frontends) and they work equally well. The iMon I think actually has
more codes to work with if that matters to you. But honestly, why bother
to switch an iMon to RC6 If you have a Harmony remote?

Also the iMon always needs power to pick up the power on IR code and it
obtains this directly from the PSU even when the system is powered down
(it is a trickle so don't panic :) ). I think you mean to say if you
switch the PSU off or disconnect the cord. I personally always shutdown
when I'm done instead of suspend and the iMon powers up from cold just fine.