[mythtv-users] MythTV 0.24 HDMI audio problem

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 22:16:18 UTC 2010

On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 4:51 PM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 4:04 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I've updated to the 27352 mythbuntu auto-build.
>>>
>>> What I've noticed: when I scan and use ALSA:hdmi:CARD=NVidia_1 I get
>>> the following frontend output
>>>
>>> 2010-11-27 12:16:34.373 AFD: Opened codec 0x971a5b90, id(H264) type(Video)
>>> 2010-11-27 12:16:34.374 AFD: codec AC3 has 1 channels
>>> 2010-11-27 12:16:34.375 AFD: Opened codec 0x971b1d30, id(AC3) type(Audio)
>>> 2010-11-27 12:16:34.588 AO: Opening audio device 'hdmi:CARD=NVidia_1'
>>> ch 2(1) sr 48000 sf signed 16 bit reenc 0
>>> 2010-11-27 12:16:34.617 AudioPlayer: Enabling Audio
>>>
>>> but no sound over HDMI
>>>
>>> If I go back to use the old ALSA:hw:1,7 I get sound, AC3/DTS look to
>>> work properly, and my HD music plays properly. So it looks like it's
>>> all good minus the general ALSA issue with device scanning, but thats
>>> not your issue to deal with.
>>>
>>> Thanks JYA!
>>>

>> Who broadcast AC3 mono these days?
>>
>> You said that using the "hdmi" device in mplayer got you sound?
>>
>> Have you tried other type of content, something not mono (should be
>> automatically converted to stereo by myth but you never know)
>>
>> Did you make sure the device is unmuted? On my gt220, I have 4 spdif
>> device showing up and I had to unmute the 2nd one to get audio
>
> I've never wanted to throw something out the window more than I do right now.
>
> I don't know what I did, but now things seem to be working.
>
> Actually, I can tell you what I did. I was having another "issue" I
> decided to fix since I didn't know what more to do until you had a
> chance to respond. What I have is my Myth frontend running via HDMI to
> my pre-amp which then connects to the TV. Because of this chain and
> how my pre-amp works if the receiver and tv were off when turning on
> Myth, X would get no video edid information and then start up at
> 800x600. So I decided to capture the TV edid directly (reconnect the
> HDMI cables temporarily) to a file and have the nvidia driver load
> that custom edid. So I got that working (easy) after a reboot.
>
> So I figured I'd keep playing around. This time when I scanned I got
> these devices as options:
> ALSA:hw:CARD=NVidia_1,DEV=
> with devices 3,7,8,9!
>
> so I tried 7 and lo and behold, it works! well, it works with DEV=7
> for AC3/DTS and 48KHz stereo,  but now my HD audio (24/96) gets down
> converted. in the audio setup myth says device 3, 8 and 9 all support
> AC3/DTS/LPCM but that device 7 only supports AC3/LPCM.
> But this seems to be an ALSA issue because if I try to play the HD
> audio via mplayer it also downconverts.
>
> I'm going to keep playing and see if I can't get this to work properly still...
>
> oh, the single channel AC3 is from Fox Soccer Channel, I don't know
> why they do that...

well, a step in the right direction. updated the motherboard firmware
and now I can disable the onboard sound so alsa only sees the GT220
now!

of course, this doesn't help with alsa. I'm back to the ricotz ppa and
it works. but no 96/24 output. going to try and compile from scratch
again and see, as i think this was the setup that worked for 24/96
last time.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!