[mythtv-users] MythTV 0.24 and vsync on Nvidia / Fedora 14 / RPMFusion

George Mari george_mythusers at mari1938.org
Sat Nov 27 22:06:54 UTC 2010

On 11/27/2010 01:47 PM, George Mari wrote:
> On 11/27/2010 12:35 PM, Jimmy Rentz wrote:
>> On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 12:56:10 -0500
>> Boleslaw Ciesielski<bc-mythtv at comcast.net> wrote:

>>> Did you make sure that the user running the frontend has write access
>>> to /dev/nvidia* device files?
>>>
>>> Bolek
>>
>> OpenGL vsync was disabled in .24:
>> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/26314.
>> Make sure that XVideo/XV Texture sync to vblank is set
>> in nvidia-settings.
>
> Ahh, OK - that's good to know. Reading the description at that link was
> very helpful - thanks!
>
> OK, but now, I still seem to be unable to explain why this isn't working
> for me.
>
> I do have the various XVideo sync to vblank parameters set in
> nvidia-settings - I wrote them to file to paste here:
>
> 0/XVideoTextureSyncToVBlank=1
> 0/XVideoBlitterSyncToVBlank=1
> 0/XVideoSyncToDisplay=1
>

> Also, from the verbose output I posted earlier, mythfrontend does seem
> to be confirming that it sees sync to vblank set for Xvideo:

> 2010-11-27 10:28:03.920 VideoOutputXv: XV_SYNC_TO_VBLANK supported
> 2010-11-27 10:28:03.920 VideoOutputXv: XVideo Sync to VBlank set
>
> But when it comes to actual playback, it doesn't seem to be able to
> actually use the sync to vblank method:

> 2010-11-27 10:28:04.055 VideoOutput: Using deinterlace method
> yadifdoubleprocessdeint
> 2010-11-27 10:28:04.056 VSYNC: DRMVideoSync: Could not open device
> /dev/dri/card0, No such file or directory
> 2010-11-27 10:28:04.056 VSYNC: RTCVideoSync: Could not set RTC
> frequency, Permission denied.
> 2010-11-27 10:28:04.057 Player(0): Video timing method: USleep with busy
> wait
> 2010-11-27 10:28:04.058 Player(0): Display Refresh Rate: 59.977 Video
> Frame Rate: 29.971
>
> My understanding from searching the mailing list archive is that the
> message about /dev/dri/card0 is not relevant - can anyone confirm?
>
> And the message about permission denied when trying to set the rtc
> frequency would only be of concern if I was trying to use that method,
> correct?
>
> Maybe I will just try to get the permissions right on dev/rtc and/or
> dev/hpet, just to see if I can make some progress.

Hmmm...setting rwx permissions on /dev/rtc, /dev/rtc0 and /dev/hpet
didn't prevent the message about not being able to set the RTC frequency
from appearing.

If I run mythfrontend as root, this message goes away, and mythfrontend
uses RTC for the video timing method, but the playback is still jumping
and stuttering regularly.

Is anyone else using XVideo output on NVidia hardware that is non-VDPAU
capable?  Are you able to use the XVideo Sync to vblank timing method?

I've tried setting the permissions on /dev/nvidia0 and /dev/nvidiactl to
777, per Bolek's suggestion, but I am still stuck with the same
messages, and USleep for the video timing method.