[mythtv-users] MythTV with Vintage Gear

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Nov 27 17:51:48 UTC 2010

On Saturday, November 27, 2010 10:33:02 am Christopher X. Candreva
wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Nov 2010, Brian Wood wrote:
> > Those original Advent speakers came out about 1974 or 1975 IIRC.
> > Advent made some very nice stuff, including a high-end audio
> > cassette deck (actually a Wollensack transport with Advent
> > electronics), and a projection system intended for home use.
>
> I found a reference that they were made in 1972. The whole system was
> given to me by a cousin who had bought it new, and had just upgraded
> to a then-new Sony system. Personally I think I got the better part
> of the deal,

You definitely did.

> and he's amazed I'm still using what he was ready to
> throw away. I love the wood grained speakers, and luckily my wife
> does too.

That era was the height of good speaker design, the Bose 901s came out
around the same time, and that design is still in use today, though not
so much in homes as  in commercial venues like discos and small concert
halls.

Acoustic suspension was new, and the designers were just starting to
realize what could be done with an airtight case.

> Surround is nice, but not nice enough that I would want to replace
> the Advents. Adding the dbx subwoofer has helped them out. I used to
> joke they were the largest satelite speakers around. For any Star
> Wars/Trek type movies the engine noises literally shake the floor
> with that thing.

Surround Sound is just the latest incarnation of "Quad", popular at
about the same time. I recall when AR (Acoustic Research) had a booth
set up in Grand Central Station where you could sit in a perfect
environment and listen to discreet 4-channel recordings they had made at
Philharmonic Hall (before it became Avery Fisher Hall), it was an
incredible experience.

Interestingly, just across the mezzanine, Boeing had a mockup of the new
747 "Jumbo" jet interior.