[mythtv-users] Not impressed with the iMON remote

Christian Szpilfogel chrisznews4 at rogers.com
Fri Nov 26 17:34:36 UTC 2010

On 25/11/2010 3:20 PM, dave cunningham wrote:

> The big problem however is that the remote itself is rubbish. I've got
> two gripes:
>
> 1. It's highly directional, where the MCE remote pretty much worked
> pointed anywhere.
>
> 2. The directional pad on the remote is very imprecise and I much
> prefer the hard buttons from the MCE remote.
>
> Checking with Logitech, it seems the Harmony remotes can be used with
> the iMON receiver. It seems this should resolve my second complaint.
> Question is, is the first issue caused by a poor IR receiver or is the
> iMON remote itself a weak transmitter. Are the harmonies likely to be
> any better in this respect (when using the iMON receiver)? Also are
> all the harmonies equal in regards to IR TX power? It seems that the
> Harmony 300 would suite my needs - would this do re IR power or does
> it get stronger with the higher end remotes?

I use an Harmony 880 on one system and an 890 with RF to an IR
transmitter on a second system.

The 880 still needs line of site to the iMon receiver unlike some other
IR devices I have which seem to be able to receive reflections (less
finicky). It is a bit of a pain for me as the unit is below table level
and I sometimes have family walking in front me when I'm trying to shut
stuff down.

I already bought another 890 to deal with this but just have to take the
time to set it up.

But over all the Harmony product is really very good.