[mythtv-users] Rebuild raid array ? [SOLVED]

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Fri Nov 26 00:32:03 UTC 2010

On 26 November 2010 06:06, Kevin Bailey <keraba at gmail.com> wrote:

> I wasn't sure what to do at this point, so I tried a hail, Mary: Just
> install the latest kernel and pray. This worked perfectly. Not sure
> why the previous update didn't. Maybe it didn't do a update-grub ? <shrug>
>
> I think the "degraded array" and fsck problems were red herrings.
> They needed to be fixed, for sure, but they weren't preventing the mount.
>
> Thanks to all who responded. I think its awesome that this list
> has maintained its helpfulness through the years. Go myth!
> And have some pumpkin pie on me. :)

This thread has helped me heaps sorting my RAID issues over the past
few days too..

my backend stopped responding , couldn't boot.

RAID missing a drive.
Removed a drive clicking like crazy. Unfortunately, it wasn't the
drive md considered missing.

Now I have two drives missing in my RAID5 array made of 6 drives.

Plugged back the clicking drive, PC wouldn't pass the boot prompt..

Tried for a good hour to get the disk to be recognised, which included
serious shaking.

Luckily for me the disk while clicking worked fine, forced
re-assembling. Added drive previously seen as missing: drive rebuilt.

Got a new drive, replaced the clicking drive. RAID started to rebuild,
closed the PC.. Suddenly massive amount of error logs.. Turned out the
SATA cable connecting the drive that kept disappearing was dodgy
(could see the wires on the connector).

Now once again, mdadm shows 4 drives out of 6, and now the evens
number between all disks do not match..

Luckily doing a reassemble with ---force allowed to put the array
together, didn't seem to have lost any files in the process..

so in all, md is pretty amazing ... even in the worse case conditions
it gives you way to recover most of it.. Certainly wouldn't have had
this flexibility with a hardware RAID for sure..

JY