[mythtv-users] Finally upgraded from 9.10/0.22 to 10.04/0.23.1 : expected behaviour?

Christopher Kerr mythtv at theseekerr.com
Thu Nov 25 22:51:32 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 5:49 AM, Daniel Born <born_daniel at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> First of all, I must say that the transition when smoother than anticipated! Aside from re-setting up lirc, alsa and X, Myth pretty much "just worked" (including database upgrade).
> I created a second partition on my OS disk and installed a fresh mythbuntu 10.04 with a database backup from 9.10 & restore on 10.04.
>
> Now the difference in behaviour for Myth: I'm recording HD with an HD-PVR connected to my set-top box and I used to have slight video stutter when watching LiveTV (when starting or when program changed) that got fixed by quickly pausing/unpausing. Recordings were always fine.
>
> Now I notice alot more audio stutter (but not video) when watching LiveTV or recordings. It will typically be 1/2 second sound on, 1/2 second sound off and pausing won't fix it. Moving forward (30 sec) or backward (5 sec) seems to fix it though. Sometimes the sound will work but will be about 3-5 seconds out of sync with the video. Again, ff or rew seems to re-align it.
>
> My cpu load doesn't seem abnormally high (less than 5% on Core2 Duo 3ghz) and I am using vdpau high. My hd-pvr has the most recent firmware and I am using analog audio connected to the back rca connectors. I get daily builds (ppa).
>
> Any idea on what to look for? (I don't think I'm ready to go for 0.24 just yet!)

Please try to avoid posting HTML emails to this list - use plain text.

Just upgrade to 0.24 - it's as simple as downloading one package from
the MythBuntu website and following the prompts. You'll get better
support here - nobody is interested in debugging old versions, even if
they've only just be obsoleted.

Don't bother with the update to Ubuntu 10.10, that still seems to be
causing some issues for people.

I'm afraid I can't help with the rest of your question, as I don't
have an HD-PVR, and I suspect that might be the root of the problem.

Long shot: Are you using VDPAU? If so, have you tried setting the
vdpaubuffersize filter in the playback profile? I find I have to up it
to 24-32 to get H.264 playback to behave.

- Chris