[mythtv-users] [UK] - What's the best way to capture from a Sky digibox?

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 15:41:32 UTC 2010

On 25 November 2010 15:14, George Poulson <george.poulson at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 24 November 2010 10:10, Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Perhaps you could detail the signal path between the STB and capture
>> card (i.e. cables, adapters, the sockets you're using, etc) so we can
>> get a better understanding of what might be going wrong?
>>

> To be honest since relocating my backend some time ago I really can't
> remember now how I had it connected. I do know that I tried various cables
> and both s-video and composite but never had much success.
> Now that the backend and the digibox are in different locations (plus I have
> to go crawling around under the floor every time I need different cabling
> between them!)  I'm really looking for a solution that will allow me to use
> the Acer Revo (that's mounted on the back of my TV) as a secondary backend
> to capture from the digibox.
> I was kind of hoping that someone would already have a similar configuration
> and could maybe suggest some myth-compatible hardware (and ideally something
> less expensive than an HDPVR ;) ) that would get me up-and-running without
> too much grief.

The Hauppauge HVR-1900 is an external USB 2.0 device with onboard
MPEG-2 encoder and DVB-T tuner, and costs roughly half that of the
HD-PVR. The HVR-1900 is only standard definition capable (S-Video or
composite), whereas the HD-PVR will give you HD captures using
component video if your STB can provide it.

It's supported on Linux [1] and has been mentioned on the list before.

[1] http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-HVR-1900

Cheers,
Nick

--