[mythtv-users] [mythtv] BrowserBased setup

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Thu Nov 25 09:00:57 UTC 2010

On 24 Nov 2010, at 21:53, Brian Wood wrote:

> On Wednesday, November 24, 2010 01:37:40 pm Cecil Watson wrote:
>

>> Granted it is a rarity that one should have to run mythtv-setup,
>> moving to an all browser based setup seems short sighted.  Whatever
>> issues exist in setting up MythTV (distros aside), should be
>> resolved in mythtv-setup.  If desired, a broswer based setup should
>> complement mythtv-setup not, replace it.
>
> I agree it's rare to need to run mythtv-setup, once the system is up and
> running.
>
> During the process of initial setup, it's not uncommon to have to run
> mythtv-setup dozens of times in a day. The fact that you must go through
> entire sections, and usually can't just go to the single thing you need
> to mess with, this becomes very tedious.
>
> Any effort at changing the setup methodology should take into account
> that there are two very different use cases: Initial setup, and, once
> that is done, the occasional need to tweak a setting or two, or perhaps
> add a capture device or modify a remote control configuration.

The most common one, to rescan one or two muxes that have changed, this seems to be almost a weekly occurrence on 28E & 19E

If the mooted feature of updating some/most settings without requiring a full backend restart work out that would be a major step forward too.

My usage pattern of mythtv breaks down to two entirely different processes, selecting and watching recordings via the GUI (10' interface) and everything else via mythweb, checking listings, scheduling, clearing unwanted recordings and some limited configuration changes. I find the mythtv-setup to be a big pain it's a lot of code to try to make the tasks usable on a 10" interface when actually editing some config files or a mythweb style interface would be much easier quicker and certainly more appropriate to the task in hand.

Ok setting up a "vcr" with a browser is seriously techie but then so is MythTV :-)

Andre