[mythtv-users] [mythtv] BrowserBased setup

Johan johan.vanderkolk at dommel.be
Wed Nov 24 23:23:14 UTC 2010

On 11/24/2010 09:46 PM, Robert McNamara wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 12:37 PM, Cecil Watson<knoppmyth at gmail.com>  wrote:s
>

> I have more than a passing interest in writing a MythUI interface to
> the new setup API.  AFAIK Stuart Morgan does too.  Moreover, any setup
> interface can offer as much or as little of the setup options as it
> likes, and organize it however it likes.  For me, this would be a 5-6
> step extremely simplified setup.  We've never made any respresentation
> that the browser based setup would be the only acceptable one, just
> that that's where we're choosing to focus our efforts for the initial
> run at it.

Having followed the discussion for a bit, and not
being hindered by any knowledge about programming language,
it seems that everyone agrees.

Developers decide what *is* configurable.
Developers write an API for those functions.

Possibly, and preferred by me as a user, give me a
web interface that works using basic protocols without
plugins that may or may not work with all versions of browsers.

(how long did it take before flash made it to 64 bit Linux?)

Anyone who wants to make something fancy should build
that on top of the API.

Maybe a web-interface competition?

just my 0.02$

Johan