[mythtv-users] Yet another question about data storage

Johan johan.vanderkolk at dommel.be
Wed Nov 24 10:41:22 UTC 2010

I need to create some (>1.5 TB) extra space for storing my DVD colection.
I store the majority of those in .mkv or .iso format. (turned
out the best way to retain menu's, subtitles and all AC3 streams)

What is considered the best solution, from a Mythtv perspective?
Add a lot of storage to the backend, using either USB, SATA or eSATA?
(very cheap)
Add a NAS to the setup for storage of all data, except the DB?

The backend motherboard supports hardware RAID.

I was looking at NAS boxes on the internet, and it seems they are all
SMB/CIFS based, but they are cheap in comparison to building my own
dedicated NFS based fileserver.

So in order of cost:
1. local storage at the BE (SATA, eSata or USB)
2. of the shelf NAS with just SMB/CIFS
3. build my own NAS

The only disadvantage of local storage I can see is the backend
doing all the disk I/O and CPU activity for up to 10 concurrent
DVB-S recordings and commflagging. However disk I/O will will just
be replaced by Ethernet I/O in case of a NAS.

I've read some discussions about SMB/CIFS performance versus NFS, just not
sure how this impacts on Myth.

For reference, the system currently consists of a Master BE/FE, a slave BE,
where I only mounted the recording folder over NFS on the BE recording
folder,
all its storage is in the BE storage groups. And a frontend,
where no local folders are defined (so again using the BE for data
storage/retrieval).

Not sure if this gets impacted by the planned 0.25 move of mythvideo to
the backend.

Johan