[mythtv-users] Duplicate Schedules

David Engel david at istwok.net
Tue Nov 23 23:45:21 UTC 2010

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 08:30:35AM +1000, Graham Maltby wrote:
> On 24/11/2010 3:38 AM, David Engel wrote:
> >Some of the scheduling details are covered in
> >http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-12.html.  What you're
> >interested in is the overlap handling and i don't think that is
> >specifically documented anywhere except the mailing list archives
> >where it comes up occasionally.  The current logic goes like this when
> >two or more rules cover the same program:
> >
> >   More specific rule type wins. (E.g. Channel Record>  All Record)
> >   Higher findid wins.  (Somewhat arbitrary, but ties need to be broken)
> >   Earlier created rule wins.  (Ties need to be broken)
> >
> >While checking the above, I realized that when comparing a non-find
> >rule with a find rule, it might not do the best thing.  The attached
> >patch changes the behavior so that a non-find rule wins over a find
> >rule.  It's untested, though, so please provide feedback if it helps in
> >your case.
>
> Thanks for that David.  I'm not in a position to test a patch
> currently; my install is from a distribution package, not source,
> and free time won't allow that to change in the short term.
>
> Can I ask why the higher priority rule is not being preferred over
> the -2 priority rule?  I would have thought that the different
> priority on the rules would mean a tie break was not needed.

Please don't top-post on the MythTV lists.  I fixed it for you this
time.

Priority controls the order in which programs are scheduled.  Which
rule to use when two or more rules match the same program is a very
different decision.  A former developer felt very strongly about that,
so the concept of most specific rule wins has always been used.  It
usually works well is equally as intuitive as using priority.  Should
an All Record rule really win over a Single Record rule or even a
Channel Record rule?

Now, personally, I'm not vehemently against using priority somewhere
in the tie breaking mechanism, but it's something I'd need a power
user to try out for a long while first.

David
--
David Engel