[mythtv-users] Broadcom Hardware Decoder BCM970015

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Nov 23 21:28:29 UTC 2010

On Tuesday, November 23, 2010 01:56:54 pm Jarod Wilson wrote:

> With the appropriate firmware and (windows-only) driver, the chip
> does support blu-ray decryption and playback (there's a hardware AES
> engine inside the crystalhd hardware, iirc). Could be what they're
> talking about there, not entirely sure.

Even if you eliminate having to decode the video from the CPU needs for
playing Blu-Ray disks, you still have the problem of decrypting it.

So it looks like B'com is targeting makers of low-powered (both watts
and CPU power) BR players or other devices that include that capability.

Of course satellite signals are both h264 and encrypted, perhaps they
are eying the satellite receiver market as well.

Good thinking on their part, but I doubt that Linux will ever get access
to the decryption functions, we are, after all, "just a bunch of
pirates" :-)

Thanks for the info, as always.