[mythtv-users] Wallpaper for thetvdb.com

Colin McGregor colin.mc151 at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 23 18:16:19 UTC 2010

I have now created my first bit of wallpaper for thetvdb.com . I did an image for "5 Ingredient Fix" (the first TV series in the alphabetical listings of programs I record). I have very little graphical talent, but I did want something, so, what I did was:

- Take a screen shot of the opening title (the show is done in standard definition and so my screen shots have the black vertical bars when I see it in HD).

- Fired up the GIMP drawing program and loaded in the screen shot.

- Scaled  the image size and cropped the image to 1920x1080

- The background behind the text was pattern made up of different shades of red, I chose a typical red to flood fill the black vertical bars

- I then cleaned up the white text (some of the text had a pink tint).

- I then painted over the red pattern with the same red as I used for the vertical bars.

- Saved the result.

- Got an account with thetvdb.com and uploaded the image.

- A few hours later when I checked my MythTV box had downloaded the image and shows it every time I look at an episode list of "5 Ingredient Fix"

Okay, so the above doesn't include a few false starts that I made... like I tried to replicate the red pattern behind the text in the vertical black bars, and it took me a while to conclude I don't have the artistic talent to pull that off...

Still, bottom line here, I and anyone else that is recording "5 Ingredient Fix" and has a MythTV theme that shows the show wallpapers will now have something. It isn't a great wallpaper, but it is a lot better than the nothing that was there.

So, who else would like to help enlarge the number of wallpapers available from thetvdb.com ?

Colin McGregor