[mythtv-users] [UK] - What's the best way to capture from a Sky digibox?

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Tue Nov 23 14:16:29 UTC 2010

George Poulson wrote:

> I'm coming around to that way of thinking too - although it is quite a
> 'culture change' from the way of watching that we've all grown up with. I
> also still need to educate the OH to this way of thinking .. she is 'used
> to' the sky gui and controls and so there is still a need to switch between
> watching live TV direct from sky and watching recordings from myth. I am
> working on it, but giving her the ability to watch recordings of channels
> such as Animal Planet would definitely win me lots of brownie points :)

We have a similar problem, and I am attempting to solve it this way: my mythtv
front end/slave back end sits next to the Virgin STB. The only thing on the
front is an on-off switch and a led power light. I tell them "If the power light
on the myth box is *ON* then that means that the myth system has control of the
STB. Do not under any circumstances attempt to control the STB by yourself under
those conditions, instead connect through the myth system."

By doing that they ensure that any in-progress recordings using the STB as
source aren't interrupted. Attempting to switch to use the STB with LiveTV
within myth will be rejected in this case, but other tuners and of course
recordings will still be available.

--

Mike Perkins