[mythtv-users] [UK] - What's the best way to capture from a Sky digibox?

Rob Clive rob at r2g2.co.uk
Tue Nov 23 13:19:43 UTC 2010

I currently use the composite input of a FlyDVB-T Duo (SAA7134 chip) to
capture the output of a standard Sky SD SCART 2 output.  After some
initial teething problems where MythTV didn't seem to use the full range
of the device, resulting in ghost images, it now seems to work fine with
0.23.  The sound is pretty well in sync but can sometimes get out;
requiring some messing with the audio sync setting in the playback menu.

I think it can be improved by using S-Video capture but a standard Sky
box doesn't offer that so I built an RGB->S-Video converter but haven't
got round to testing it yet.  Alternatively you can pick up SD Sky+
boxes on EBay for very little and they have S-Video as standard.

Sky box control is best done using the built in facility to accept
remote commands via the RF2 output as described here:
http://www.byteme.org.uk/howtos/lirc-sky-rflink-howto.html.  I didn't
buy one of the rather pricy Pace devices but modified one of those magic
eye devices instead.  The only tricky bit then is identifying just which
Sky remote you have; there's more than one so you need a bit of trial
and error.

Rob Clive