[mythtv-users] How is 0.24's music handling?

Paul Harrison mythtv at sky.com
Mon Nov 22 19:37:34 UTC 2010

On 22/11/10 11:46, Robert Siebert wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 02:05:09 -0700, Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
>
>> I just finished ripping my 360+ CD collection to my main workstation and
>> currently use Amarok (in KDE 4.5.3) for playback.
>>
>> Since my Myth box needs upgrading I'm wondering how well MythMusic
>> competes
>> with Amarok these days and whether I should invest (yet) in moving my
>> music
>> over to my Myth box and keeping all my media together.
>>
>> I'm a newb to music players but features I like in Amarok so far are
>> cover-
>> grabbing, lyrics display, Wikipedia page, and scripting. Maybe there are
>> features I'm missing that I should be aware of.

> I also would like to see some progress of the intended rewrite of
> mythmusic.
> Mythmusic can't do: grabbing, lyrics display, Wikipedia page, and
> scripting.

Cover grabbing is a little tricky to do legally because they are usually
copyrighted, if you know of a legal way to do it I'd be glad to add it,
I was thinking of just allowing the user to search Google images for the
covers and leave it up to the user to decide as to the legality of it.
The same could be said of lyrics but there are sites that offer public
api's for grabbing them so I have added a screen that shows them. I do
plan on adding a Wikipedia screen but the problem at the moment is the
broken user style sheets in Qt 4.6 which we need to make the display
usable for TV users. I have no plans to add scripting to MythMusic I'll
leave that up to the bindings guys.

> It would be nice if the mythmusic developer would state the progress
> or put the plugin into svn as mythmusic2 or something so that other
> user can see the progress and contribute. If noone knows how far the
> coding is already done, people are probably afraid to start a new
> mythmusic plugin that can be used as a starting point.

See my rely elsewhere on the list.

> Best regards
>
> Robert S

Paul H.