[mythtv-users] [ATrpms-users] Fedora vs. CentOS - Thoughts

John Welch jrw3319 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 13:46:19 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 6:19 AM, Phill Edwards <philledwards at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I thought, since I know some people on list use CentOS, if anyone had any
>> thoughts about moving to CentOS from Fedora for MythTV
>> backends/frontends they might want to share.
>
> Ditto the other posters really. I went from Fedora to CentOS because of the
> constant need to upgrade. Then after a yearpr so went back to Fedora because
> CentOS just doesn't have the breadth of packages that are available for
> Fedora.

Just to add another reference point, I use CentOS on just about all my
Linux servers at work because of the stability / reliability.
However, at home, for both desktops and "servers", I prefer Fedora.  I
feel that for multimedia packages, like MythTV, it is advantageous to
have the latest kernel bits / modules available "out of the box", so
to say, without having to worry about compiling anything or using
workarounds.  IMO, at this point moving from one version of Fedora to
another is becoming less and less painless.  I've recently upgraded
four systems from F13 to F14 using 'preupgrade' and only had a couple
of minor glitches that were pretty easy to get around.

Just my 2 cents.

John