[mythtv-users] Rebuild raid array ?

Kevin Bailey keraba at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 01:50:54 UTC 2010

On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 5:33 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi
>
> md has always been happier with entire disks.

At the time, I was too chicken to make a bootable raid.
It's been working fine for years, otherwise.

Why don't just just remove sdd2 from the array, format it, re-add it
> and let md rebuild the array?

That's the way things are looking. I guess I just wanted some hint that the
drive was
indeed corrupted, and it wasn't something else. (Just for example, I'm
reading about
a lot of drives being re-mapped after an upgrade.)

You mentioned, "format". As I read things, raid doesn't require a formatted
drive.
(Only an fdisk'd one.) Isn't it that all I have to do is:

mdadm /dev/md0 -f /dev/sda2   # fail it
mdadm /dev/md0 -r /dev/sda2   # remove it
mdadm /dev/md0 -a /dev/sda2   # hot add it

?

Thanks!