[mythtv-users] FC14 lirc mce remote

John Haywood john at jhit.com.au
Sat Nov 20 11:47:54 UTC 2010

On 19/11/2010, at 4:14 PM, Jarod Wilson wrote:

> On Nov 18, 2010, at 4:37 PM, John Haywood wrote:
>
>> I'm a bit confused regarding getting an mce remote working under fc 14 and mythtv (from freshrpms).
>>
>> The device is correctly detected (lsusb gives mfg code, device id and a correct manufacturer name (fintek).
>>
>> I tried installing lirc 0.8.7, copying over a lird.conf file and starting lircd, but irw gives nothing, although keypresses on the remote register with the receiver.
>>
>> Then I noticed that there were no kernel modules loading, nor would they load explicitly.
>>
>> I went back and read a couple of posts from Jarod, where it seems that the module has moved in-kernel, and lirc is no longer required, but I'm not really sure of the whole picture here.
>>
>> Can someone please help get this working, please?
>
> You still probably want lirc, since full native input layer support is
> not quite a reality yet. But you want lirc from the Fedora 14 repo, as
> it carries patches necessary to work with the upstreamed lirc support.
> That, or lirc 0.9.0-pre1 or later. Also suggest doing an:
>
> echo none +lirc > /sys/class/rc/rc0/protocols
>
> This will disable the in-kernel decoders and enable only the lirc bridge
> driver. (I'm doing exactly this right now for my asrock ion330 ht with
> its built-in IR receiver).
>
> --
> Jarod Wilson
> jarod at wilsonet.com

OK, some more input, but no devices yet ...

I do have lirc 0.8.7-x from FC14

I don't have any entries under /dev/lircxxx

Where does FC put its module entries? (last time I used it, the entries were under /etc/modprobe.conf of the form 'alias 'lirc_mceusb')

The '/sys/class/rc/rc0/protocols' doesn't exist - what creates it?

cheers

John Haywood