[mythtv-users] Poor reception lately

Damian myth at surr.co.uk
Fri Nov 19 22:34:55 UTC 2010

Hello all,

I use the Mendip Transmitter (I think!?)  here in the UK and have had a
terrible signal on BBC1 the last couple of weeks. It comes and goes, but
is mainly bad.

I have tried rescanning everything several times which has varied
results. It always brings up loads of duplicates, but used to at least
grab every channel. Recently it seems hit and miss. One scan missed out
Channel 4. The last scan seems to have BBC2 missing. And throughout
these variations, BBC1 seems to be fairly consistently bad reception.

Anyone else having problems?

I had my signal checked out by an ariel company less than a year ago.
They sold me a signal booster that seemed to give a pretty good signal
from their readings and all was fine since then until now.

I'm thinking of buying something like this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philex-SLx-27867R-Digital-Strength/dp/B001GXQUNQ/ref=pd_bxgy_ce_text_b
to take into the loft and see if I can improve things by tweaking the
ariel angle.

It would probably be good if I could work out which transports were the
Mendip ones, and only scan for signals from there. Can anyone tell me
how to do that? Whenever I've tried to look into it it looks bizarrely
complicated. I'd have thought Myth could just pick up the strongest
signal, but I assume it's much more complicated than that. What do I know?

Any ideas on how to improve this?

Thanks
Damian