[mythtv-users] no 2ch AC3 passthrough when speakers == Stereo

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Fri Nov 19 04:35:17 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-11-19 at 09:40 +1100, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> Hi

Hi

> Correction: everyone needs to have stereo AC3 decoded because it fits
> MY case.

Yeah, I suppose that's one way to approach it.  I guess I had just hoped
that since it was clearly an inconsistent situation in the first place
(or you would have not "fixed" it) that now that it's consistent with
expected behaviour, yet not quite what YOU want, you would recognize
that it should maintain consistency yet allow the kind of flexibility
that both you and I desire.

> You are welcome to create a patch and submit it.

Of course.  And my wife is also welcome to fix the car when it breaks,
but we (she and I) both know that I will be much more effective and
efficient at it, not because she is not smart or anything like that,
just unfamiliar.

But ultimately you are quite accurate.  If having the behaviour reverted
back to the inconsistent state that prompted all of this bothers me
enough I could submit a patch.  But the reality is that that state is my
preference too (Myth decodes AC3 stereo but passes through > 2ch AC3).

I only reported this originally for the greater good of the software,
it's consistency and the user experience.  I figured as more and more
people roll out 0.24, I would not be the last person to recognize the
inconsistency and would point it out before the more general community
did.

> I'm actually thinking that I may have disabled up mixing of stereo AC3
> as a side consequence, I need to test this ASAP

Fair enough.

Cheers,
b.