[mythtv-users] .24 upgrade issues

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Nov 18 18:04:45 UTC 2010

On Thursday, November 18, 2010 10:55:42 am Mike Perkins wrote:
> Brian Wood wrote:
> > On Thursday, November 18, 2010 07:34:42 am John Freeman wrote:
> >> Thanks for the info.
> >>
> >> My general home network is 192.15. and the HDHomeRun and
> >> second Ethernet port are on 172. So the server is on 2 networks
> >> with the 172. being just it and the HomeRun. The auto-discovery
> >> does not work this case.
> >
> > So you are using non-RFC-1918 addresses for your home network
> > (192.15.x.x)? You can do that of course, but it might be safer to
> > use non-world-routable addresses.
>
> Good luck with that. My cable provider, Virgin Media (UK), supplies
> DHCP information via a server in the 10.x.x.x range, and I regularly
> see misconfigured hosts on the wire with 192.168.x.x addresses.
>
> Not that any of that gets past my firewall, of course, but it's
> better to be safe and use the reserved ranges internally.
>
> Of course, 192.15.x.x may have been assigned to him by his ISP...

Not likely:

NetRange:       192.15.0.0 - 192.15.255.255
CIDR:           192.15.0.0/16
OriginAS:
NetName:        WORLDACCESS-NET
NetHandle:      NET-192-15-0-0-1
Parent:         NET-192-0-0-0-0
NetType:        Direct Assignment
RegDate:        1984-10-23
Updated:        1998-10-16
Ref:            http://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-192-15-0-0-1

OrgName:        World Access, Inc.
OrgId:          WORLDA-1
Address:        115 Wolf Creek Trail
Address:        Suite 2000
City:           Broomfield
StateProv:      CO
PostalCode:     80020
Country:        US
RegDate:        1984-10-23
Updated:        1998-10-16
Ref:            http://whois.arin.net/rest/org/WORLDA-1

It's never a good idea to use "real" addresses unless you own them, as
you pointed out there are enough cases of misconfigured routers in the
world to make even RFC-1918 addresses subject to problems.

Of course, if you are careful, there is nothing to prevent your using
such addresses without problems, but assuming that nobody will route
RFC-1918 addresses is not a safe assumption.