[mythtv-users] Video playback issues in 0.23-fixes

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Thu Nov 18 13:40:38 UTC 2010

> 2. MPEG2, blacks -- getting white pixelation only in spots of PURE black,
> and only on some recordings. (All HDHR recordings). I'll have to find a
> recording and grab the info.. I caught up on a bunch of TV this weekend,
> deleted when I was done.

I was using a a 190.x driver for the longest time, but recently
upgraded to 260.19.12. After that, I started noticing the same problem
with the pure black having white speckles. I rebooted and the problem
went away and hasn't been back all week. However, I just went back to
my old 190.x driver because I was noticing a different problem since
the upgrade. It seems that mythtv (I'm still on 0.22) wasn't
accurately tracking the current time while playing back a recording or
an mkv file. As playback went on, it would drift. The way I would
notice it was that, after watching for a while, I would hit the button
to skip back 10 seconds and the video would skip back more than 10
seconds (sometimes it would be a whole minute). So, for example:
Mythtv would think playback progress was currently at time 15:10 when
it was really at 15:30.  So when you skip back 10 seconds, instead of
going to 15:20 it would go to 15:00.

There have been no other hardware/software changes to the system in
quite some time, and both of these problems showed up right after the
driver upgrade.

--
Ron