[mythtv-users] 0.24 upgrade - a few issues/questions

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 09:07:48 UTC 2010

Hi

On 18 November 2010 19:14, Bob Sully <rcs at malibyte.net> wrote:

> Just mirrored my Ubuntu 10.04/Myth 0.23-fixes install to a second set of
> partitions, tweaked /etc/fstab and rebooted into the mirror.  Ran the
> update to 0.24-fixes from JYA's repos - went very well.
>
> I would like to thank Jean-Yves again, very much, for maintaining these
> repos, especially for those of us planning to stick with Ubuntu LTS
> releases.  I know it's a lot of work for him to do this, and it's
> appreciated!  It saves us a lot of hassle.

Your thanks should go to the mythbuntu folks ; they are the one who
created the packages installer and I just shamelessly took them
They have indicated that they will know build new version of mythtv
for all LTS revision + 6 months

> I've only come across a few issues so far:
>
> (1) Sound:  I'm running sound out through s/pdif to my amp.
>
> I have run the "scan" function and am using
> "ALSA:IEC958:CARD=Interl,DEV=0"as the audio output device.  Under "Audio
> capabilities", "Dolby Digital" and "DTS" are checked.  "LPCM" is checked
> but the check-mark is greyed.

If LPCM is greyed, it's not used. It keeps the content in case you do
use a source supporting LPCM and that way it keeps the previous status
of the LPCM checkbox ; otherwise you would have to recheck it each
time you change input which I found annoying

> I get 5.1 sound with my recordings and videos - no problem.  However, with
> music, there are problems.
>
> Under "Music Settings", I have "Audio device" set to "default".
> If I check "Upconvert stereo to 5.1 surround" - which is the option I want
> to use - the receiver tells me it's getting 5.1 input when the file begins
> to play (status bar moves, timer increments), but there is NO sound.
> Stopping the player shuts off the 5.1 LED on the receiver.  If I UNcheck
> the "Upconvert" box, I do hear the music, in stereo.  However, after

Checking the upmix box in the mythmusic settings is all you would
normally to play sound in 5.1

Weird that you get no sound.

Could you post the logs with -v audio ?

> stopping the music and trying to play a 5.1 source such as a recording -
> NO sound, 5.1 LED on the receiver flashes off and on, I have to exit the
> frontend and run alsamixer, hit "M" four times, after which I can restart
> the frontend and watch a video or TV recording in 5.1 surround again.

sounds like there is an issue with the ALSA drivers for your audio card

I wonder if we could add an option to automatically unmute the audio
card; putting this in the advanced like option, something like "unmute
audio card at startup" or something like that