[mythtv-users] HDPVR & Mythbuntu & Bell Satellite Channel Change Script

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 01:43:45 UTC 2010

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 7:35 PM, Thomas Paine <painethom at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok extensive testing over the past few hours has revealed the following.
>
> The lirc_zilog didn't seem to be loading at boot. I was getting errors
> in mythbackend.log about irsend unable to open hardware device.
>
> It seems when I use channel-change-lirc.pl as the channel change
> script, the hdpvr either develops a minor hesitation every second or
> two while watching live tv. When I change the script to /bin/true it
> goes away.
>
> I do have a serial IR blaster somewhere. I guess at this point I
> better dig it out and find it and give that a try. I was hoping to get
> the receiver and blaster working on the HDPVR but at this point I'm
> more concerned with having a functional backend. I won't be watching
> live tv or recordings on it. I've decided to relocate the satellite
> box and the backend to the basement and work on a front end instead.
>
> I'll post copies of the conf files I was using a little later when I
> get on the backend computer. It's currently recording a couple of
> shows since I set the channel with the remote.

It has been a long time since this has come up, so I may be off my
rocker telling you to not use the hdpvr as a blaster.  The symptoms
you describe were known a long time ago, and to my knowledge (which
means I have not seen a success story posted) are still not resolved.
It has always been recommended to not try to use it *both* as receiver
and transmitter, but one or the other was fine.

It would be nice to hear you come back and say you got it working
reliably though!  I would not have to drag my mce transceiver out of
my laptop backpack when I need an extra receiver for testing blasting!