[mythtv-users] NFL Scheduling

David Engel david at istwok.net
Wed Nov 17 15:59:28 UTC 2010

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 12:28:22AM -0700, E. Westbrook wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 19:35, David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:
> This was an extremely illuminative explanation.  I'd like to thank you very
> much for taking the time to explain it to me that way.  I think I "get it"
> now.

You're welcome.

> perfect!!  Interestingly, I no longer see shows from these affiliates as two
> entries in upcoming recordings; just one, either on the HD or SD input.
> Perfect, if unexpected.

That's by design.  MythTv tries to condense the results and not
display redundant information when it makes sense.

> I probably should have tried that immediately, at your suggestion, but guess
> I wanted to understand it, every bit as much as I wanted to make it work.
> And I also wanted to follow the documented recommendations -- and, as far as
> I can tell, this still isn't a "documented as recommended" thing to do.  I
> poured over http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-12.html repeatedly, and
> while it's very informative, the tip to making the call signs the same
> didn't really leap off the page at all to me.

Robert Kulagowski used to maintain the HOWTO.  I'm not sure, though,
if it's been deprecated in favor of the wiki.  I'll ask Robert to add
something to the HOWTO if he still works on it.

> What would you, or anyone else, recommend for a place on the wiki to make
> this stand out as "what to do" if you've got two inputs with SD and HD
> versions of the same affiliate?  Because, clearly, it is the right thing to
> do... just not obviously so.

Here are some places where it's probably worth mentioning.

http://mythtv.org/wiki/User_Manual:Setting_Up
http://mythtv.org/wiki/User_Manual:Detailed_configuration_Backend
http://mythtv.org/wiki/Scheduling_Recordings

David