[mythtv-users] Squeezesoft prevents audio in .24

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 05:21:40 UTC 2010

Hi

On 17 November 2010 15:36, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin at gmail.com> wrote:

> I may just create a workaround by binding a key to the remote that
> will start and stop the squeezeslave player.  Learning and configuring
> Pulse is a little more difficult than what I want to do and may add
> more issues (unless you think it is relatively straightforward).

Plus, I think squeezesoft requires use of alsa.

If it does, configure it to use the "pulse" ALSA device ; it's designed for
it

Pulse has some downside compare to pure ALSA. You can't do passthrough, all
audio will be resampled etc..
but it was designed for the purpose of being able to allow more than one
application to play sound at a time.

There will often be some sync and latency issues, but it's not too bad
anymore with 0.24.

Pulse is still using ALSA.

> > I can't see how this ever worked before... ALSA requires exclusive access
> > the hardware, if it's opened by one application, it can't be used by
> another
> > ; that's why you have sound server like pulse audio.
> >
> Don't know what to say.  It worked.  I could not play from squeezesoft
> and myth simultaneously, but the two never seemed to conflict with
> each other.

Did you upgrade squeezesoft lately?
It seems that it keeps the audio card open even when not playing which is
not great and is what's causing those issues.

That's the problem: squeezesoft keeps the audio card open, and it's not
available for anyone else to use. You will have the same issues with other
program (mplayer, vlc etc..) they won't be able to play audio while
squeezesoft is using the audio device.

JY