[mythtv-users] MythFontManager unable to load fonts

Matt W mwood23 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 04:09:14 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 5:24 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> Most likely corrupt files?  That error is returned when the Qt QFontDatabase
> is unable to read a valid font from the file.  So, if it's not a permissions
> issue, I'd guess the file itself is bad.
>
> The only other thing I could imagine is if you're running a Unix/X11
> platform without fontconfig support.  (At least in the GNU/Linux world, you
> shouldn't find that.  If this isn't GNU/Linux, then it's possible.)

thx for the reply, Mike.  well, the FreeSans came right from the .24
src tar and the cksum matches.  the League Gothic I grabbed from trunk
and those cksums match too.  I'm running Debian 5 with the stock X11..

X.Org X Server 1.4.2
Release Date: 11 June 2008
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux Debian (xorg-server 2:1.4.2-10.lenny2)
Current Operating System: Linux mythtv2 2.6.26-2-amd64 #1 SMP Wed Aug
19 22:33:18 UTC 2009 x86_64
Build Date: 11 June 2009  09:45:25AM

I even tried adding it as a FontPath in X11..

(**) FontPath set to:
        /usr/local/mythtv/share/mythtv/themes/Arclight,

and I get the same error:
2010-11-16 20:05:29.532 MythFontManager, Warning: Unable to load
font(s) in file '/usr/local/mythtv/share/mythtv/themes/Arclight/League
Gothic.otf'
2010-11-16 20:05:29.817 MythFontProperties, Error: Failed to load
'League Gothic', got 'Andale Mono' instead
                        Location:
/usr/local/mythtv/share/mythtv/themes/Arclight/base.xml @ 17
                        Name: 'basegothicsmall' Type: 'fontdef'

I'm really stumped.  I guess the next step is to get a font utility
and see if I can load these files directly.