[mythtv-users] Some notes on Google TV

Robert Johnston anaerin at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 00:26:46 UTC 2010

On 16/11/2010 5:35 PM, Brad Templeton wrote:
> I am sure myth would have had a universal search some time ago if not
> for the fact that a lot of Myth is coded to work for people who just
> have a remote control and not a keyboard. It was not so long ago that
> there was even a bug when you wanted to do a search and type in strings
> that pressing digits would act like a remote control and cycle through
> the letters.

That was a bug? I was under the impression that the remote control's
numbers acting like the keypad of a cellular phone was a "Feature" to
make text entry easier in times before the on-screen keyboard was
included (0.17, 0.18 or so).

> My general view was that this wasn't too bad because there was mythweb,
> and mythweb in my view should be the primary (and only) interface to
> most of the complex aspects of MythTV, including most configuration,
> priority adjustment and so on. Search within MythTV was painful enough
> that I always went to mythweb (in a browser window on the frontend box
> frequently) and so that was the right place for that.

Of course, searching in Mythweb is still slow. Much slower than a Google
web search, especially considering the (relatively small) size of Myth's
database.

> Google TV search has upped the bar a bit, though, with its suggestions
> as you type and having a single button that calls up search in the OSD
> even while you are watching a program.

Search is what Google does best, after all. But, hopefully, with the
addition of some indexing and optimisation, Myth's search can be
improved (at least a little).