[mythtv-users] Does anyone use MythGames? Some questions

Eloy Paris peloy at chapus.net
Tue Nov 16 21:44:48 UTC 2010

Hi Gabe,

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 09:23:47AM -0800, Gabe Rubin wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I want to implement MythGames into my system.  I have read the wiki
> page and have installed some emulators, but wanting to get the lists
> opinion.
>
> What is the best available emulator for NES, SNES, Nintendo64, and
> MAME?  Bonus points if there are RPMs to install on my fedora based
> system, but willing to compile.
> Is it possible to not require any keyboard input (i.e., when I chose a
> rom to play, it lets me use the joystick to control everything rather
> than having to select something with a keyboard to go to joystick
> mode?  I don't have a keyboard connected to my mythbox and would like
> to avoid doing so.
> Is there an easy way to use either my remote or joystick to gracefully
> exit the emulator program?
>
> I picked up a logitech F710 wireless gamepad.  I know my mythbox can
> recognize because jstest works fine and cat /dev/input/js01 gives me
> random characters when I push the buttons.

I wouldn't say that I use MythGame but I do have it configured in my
system and it works great. I only have MAME configured, and MythGame is
a pretty decent frontend for it.

There's a script that allows you to scan your ROM collection and
generate metadata that you then can load into the database. I think
that's a must since otherwise you don't see game genres or even game
names; just ROM names. Search for "mame2myth.py" at
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Configuring_MythGame_Emulation for more info.

I am able to use MAME through MythGame without using a keyboard. The
above wiki page has information on how to do so.

Cheers,

Eloy Paris.-