[mythtv-users] NFL Scheduling

David Engel david at istwok.net
Tue Nov 16 02:35:34 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 01:30:20PM -0700, E. Westbrook wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 09:14, David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:
> > The NFL game is being moved to make room for 60 Minutes.  This
> > particular case will probably resolve itself when 60 Minutes gets a
> > non-generic programid in a mythfilldatabase update later.
>
> Thanks for your response!
>
> But I'm confused why you'd bring up 60 Minutes.  (Other than perhaps sharing
> my minor annoyance with how CBS has always handled it, lol.)  The preceding
> game starts on time, 60 Minutes isn't my priority, and my myth schedule
> handles CBS games and 60 Minutes just fine -- and also, it's NBC's Sunday
> evening game I'm having trouble with anyway.  Nothing to do with CBS or 60
> Minutes here.

The scheduler initially scheduled the NBC game on the HD tuner.  When
it got to 60 Minutes, the only way to schedule it was to move the NBC
game to the SD tuner, so it did.  At that time, the scheduler the
scheduler doesn't know that it could use the SD tuner for 60 minutes
because the programid is for a generic episode and you have different
call signs on the HD and SD CBS channels.  When you change the call
signs to be the same, the scheduler will happily put 60 Minutes on the
SD tuner and leave the NBC game on the HD tuner.

> > It would also resolve itself immediately if you used common callsigns for
> > channels on both sources as is recommended.  The way you have it now,
> > MythTV will try to record any generic programs from both sources.
> >

> That's fantastic, I would love to know that recommendation and how to
> implement it!  I must have missed it in all these years -- where is it
> documented?

It's mentioned in the wiki somewhere, but the best place to go for
scheduler documentation is
http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-12.html .

> > > Also, is the format of the mythbackend schedule output (aside from the
> > > indicator characters) documented anywhere?  It's escaping me if so.
> >
> > It's currently only in the source code.  Perhaps someone would like to
> > add a page to the wiki.
>
> Doh!  I was about to do so, and even went as far as finding the definitions
> in libs/libmyth/{programtypes,recordingtypes}.cpp (which was educational
> anyway), and then discovered it's already all in there at
> http://www.mythtv.com/wiki/Myth_Backend -- I don't know why didn't find it
> before.  Anyway, I added a blurb in that section about its relevance to
> --testsched and -v schedule.

Ah, you only meant what the columns are.  I thought you were asking
about the cryptic prefixes such as +, #, !, /, etc.  Those show the
logic the scheduler is using and, besides the legend that is printed,
are only documented by the source code itself.

> So... what's the right (recommended) way to set up (mostly) identical feeds
> from SD/HD network affiliates so I can get the desired results?  I'd be
> happy to write that up too if I can learn what's right.

Please see http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-12.html .

David
--
David Engel