[mythtv-users] backend in appletv 2g?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Nov 15 22:37:39 UTC 2010

On Monday, November 15, 2010 03:21:22 pm Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 11/15/2010 17:15, Brian Wood wrote:

> >> Well, I'm pretty sure it could serve as a slave backend just fine.
> >> Was actually thinking about that as a possibility in favor of a
> >> plug type computer, since its cheaper and/or more easily acquired
> >> than any of the sheevaplug variants to date.
> >
> > not sure how it might work as a slave backend, but with an HDHR or
> > a USB tuner it should get by.
>
> If you have an HDHR, you can access it from any machine on the
> network. Why bother dedicating a slave backend to it?

I have no idea, I wouldn't do it, but a  backend needs some sort of
capture device (is this still true?), so if you had an HDHR on your
network and wanted a slave backend for some reason (development?) it
could be done.

You might want a slave BE to do commflagging or transcoding duties I
suppose, and it would need *some* capture device, and the Plugs are
limited to USB or network devices.

Jarod mentioned the Plug devices cost more than the ATV, I was just
pointing out that's not necessarily true, and pointing out that you are
not limited to USB capture units, an HDHR could be used as well.