[mythtv-users] 0.24-fixes JYA Repo for Lucid?

Mario Limonciello mario.mailing at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 22:21:44 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 7:40 AM, Greg Oliver <oliver.greg at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 7:27 AM, Dave Richardson <mythtv at derdev.com>
> wrote:
> > On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 10:18:02 -0600, Greg Oliver <oliver.greg at gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> >> One thing I can say about mythbuntu's mirrors is that their rsync
> >> procedure is completely unreliable.  Rather than breaking, mirroring,
> >> and syncing - they obviously sync directly to the mirror with no
> >> staging area.  If you dpkg-reconfigure mythbuntu-autobuilds, and
> >> select a different mirror several times in a row while running apt-get
> >> upgrades every time, you get wildly different results.  IIRC (it has
> >> been a while since I used them), the DE mirror and PPA always had the
> >> most up to date packages.  The US mirror was always the slowest to get
> >> updated..
> >>
> >> This also unfortunately allowed broken (not always broken, but not
> >> 100% updated) upgrades.  Yet another reason I quit using *buntu for
> >> mythtv..
> >>
> >> The regular ubuntu mirrors do properly use rsync though, so these
> >> autobuilds have to be using a different system to push them out...
> >

> > Greg, I've been using *buntu for a while and have been noticing a number
> of
> > issues you cited.
> > I'm about ready for a change.
> > May I inquire as to which distro you changed to from *buntu?  Thanks.
> > (no, I'm not trolling, I'm curious)
>
> I still use ubuntu for my laptops (which a couple have a frontend
> installed), but I use minimyth for my FEs and RHEL6 (which I notice
> was released this weekend, so 3rd party redistributors should have
> distros out shortly)  for my main backend.  Ubuntu's (lack of)
> ext4/libahci upkeep is the *main* reason I will never use them on a
> backend again though.
>
> Like I said, the regular ubuntu mirrors (for non-mythtv stuff) I have
> never had issues with (maybe just lucky), but these mythbuntu mirrors
> that are included in the .deb package from the mythbuntu website gave
> me grief for 2 weeks on some test systems before I finally gave up.
> Selecting on mirror would have 0.24 libmyth, but no 0.24 frontend
> package, so changing to another would have no 0.24 packages..  It just
> got frustrating that partial dependencies are allowed to be
> propagated.
>
> Hi Oliver:

I'll admit there have been some problems with the US, UK, and FR repos.  As
I understand the root cause to their problems was a bazaar lockfile not
getting removed.  They've been removed from the rotation until that can be
sorted out and verified to be fixed.

As for partial dependency propagation, this is a bit of a bigger problem
with the way the Launchpad PPA service operates.  i386 and AMD64 builds
don't necessarily happen at the same time, and if you have multiple packages
that have to build in a certain order it can take many hours depending on
how overloaded the PPA build system is.

You don't see these types of problems in standard Ubuntu after it releases
because the builds are first pushed to a -proposed repository and then
binary copied by a human being to an -updates repository.  You will see
those skews if you have -proposed on, or likely while the version of Ubuntu
is in development.

We've recently made a change that should significantly help with this
problem however.  Rather than MythTV, MythPlugins, and MythThemes being 3
individual packages that had to build in a particular order requiring many
hours, they're a single source package now.  This means that one build might
take 2 hours to build, but it will kick out the 30 or so binary packages
immediately.  If you are using i386, you shouldn't see problems anymore.

If you are using AMD64, we've got some ideas still on how to put bandaids on
the rest of the problem, but haven't implemented them yet.