[mythtv-users] Synchronising frontends

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 21:37:15 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 3:18 PM, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-11-15 at 21:09 +0000, Richard Morton wrote:
>> But setting up a multicast compliant network is not nesscarily a
>> trivial task in itself. Unicast is more likely to work on a home
>> network although with greater sync issues.

Well, D-Link is the only SOHO router manufacturer I can think of
(which does not necessarily mean all of the cheaper licensed knockoffs
are as well) that does not multicast between wired and wireless out of
the box.  Most all others I know of just do multicast natively without
help.  All 4-8 port home switches are in the same category.  If you
are like me and have a more complex home network, then you should just
know what you are doing anyhow  :)

> Hrm.  AFAIK, the biggest headache with setting up a multicast network is
> routers between subnets, which should not likely be a problem in the
> typical single-subnet home network.

This is true.  I do not know of any SOHO routers with default firmware
that will even do it.

> Multicast has the added bonus that in such a situation where you want
> multiple FEs to tune the same stream, you can do it over 802.11 at the
> cost of a single stream.  With unicast you end up needing to tax your
> wifi network cumulatively for each FE that wants to receive.
>
> b.

Basically, most home networks should just work with no modification at
all.  Some may require a static multicast route added, or upnp turned
on, etc...