[mythtv-users] ,24 Combined EIT and XML channel listing source

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 19:46:34 UTC 2010

On 15 November 2010 19:32, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
> On 11/15/2010 08:55, Another Sillyname wrote:
>>
>> I remember reading a thread a while back that mentioned that .24 was
>> possibly going to allow you to mix both EIT and XML data for listing
>> info on the same channel.....what was mentioned was the EIT data would
>> be preferred for the Now/Next and today to 7/8 days out period with
>> XML then filling that out to two weeks.
>
> No.  Such behavior would do nothing but play havoc with duplicate detection
> in the scheduler.

But it would be very helpful for channels not covered by the XML.
Currently, EIT reading is not done on the currently tuned in channel.
EIT reading is only done when the DVB card is not doing anything.
I am writing support for reading EPG over DVB-S at the moment, so that
might provide better info than the XML, and then I will not need to
mix EIT with XML.
In the UK, SKY transmits the EPG on its own mux. SKY EPG support
already works with VDR, so all I am doing is a porting and integration
effort.
So, during idle times, I could get myth to tune to this mux and pick
up the updated EPG.

If XML and EIT need to be mixed, you can store two schedule tables,
one for XML handling duplicates in the XML, one for EIT. Then after
duplicate removal, prefer EIT over XML if EIT info exists.